Soup season is upon us, so why don’t we combine everything delicious in a stuffed bell pepper but in soup form instead! This soup is the definition of home-style and hearty. Only using simple ingredients, this meal is packed with flavour and will make your guests wanting seconds.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 small yellow onion chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (a little over 1/2 of a medium)
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 oz) can low-sodium beef broth
- 2 1/2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- Cheddar or mozzarella cheese, for serving (optional)
- In a large pot heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat, once hot add beef to pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir occasionally while breaking up beef, until browned. Drain beef and pour onto a plate lined with paper towels, set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a pot. Add onions, red bell pepper, green bell pepper and sauté 3 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Pour in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth and add parsley, basil, oregano and cooked beef, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring just to a light boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, prepare the rice. Once the soup is done simmering, stir in the desired amount of cooked rice into the soup. For a thicker soup add more rice and for thinner, add less.
- Serve warm topped with optional cheese and garnish with fresh parsley.
Source: Cooking Classy | Stuffed Pepper Soup