Hold on! Before you discard your vegetable scraps, consider using them to make a delectable and nutritious vegetable stock. By doing so, you can not only enjoy its amazing taste but also save money and make use of every part of your vegetables. The following is a straightforward recipe for vegetable broth. Please keep in mind that you have the freedom to use any type or quantity of vegetables you prefer. This is merely a fundamental guideline to aid you in getting started!
- Bell Peppers
Watch out for:
- Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, bok choy, Brussels sprouts, and similar leafy greens, as they can impart a bitter taste to your stock.
- Beets, which should be avoided unless you desire a strong beet flavour and a pink colour in your stock.
- Starchy vegetables like potatoes and sweet potatoes, which can make your stock thick and gooey. However, a few potato scraps can be added if you want a slightly thick texture.
- Hot peppers, as their spiciness can become concentrated and their inner pith can add bitterness to your stock.
- Citrus fruits such as orange or lime, which can turn bitter if simmered for too long. Instead, add a fresh squeeze of lemon to your stock just before using it for added flavour and extra vitamin C.
- Fill a large stock pot with veggie scraps and fill the pot with cold water to about two inches below the pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 4 hours.
- Strain and pack it up.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
This nutritious and delicious vegetable stock base can serve as the perfect foundation for a wide variety of soups. Here are a few soup recommendations you can try out with your veggie stock:
- Minestrone soup - A hearty Italian soup made with vegetables, beans, and pasta.
- Vegetable soup - A classic soup made with a variety of vegetables such as carrots, celery, onions, and potatoes.
- Tomato soup - A comforting soup made with fresh or canned tomatoes, onions, and garlic.
- Lentil soup - A protein-rich soup made with lentils, vegetables, and spices.
- Butternut squash soup - A creamy soup made with roasted butternut squash, onions, and garlic.
- Mushroom soup - A rich and earthy soup made with mushrooms, onions, and herbs.
- Potato soup - A creamy and comforting soup made with potatoes, onions, and milk or cream.
- Corn chowder - A creamy soup made with sweet corn, potatoes, and onions.
- Broccoli cheddar soup - A cheesy and delicious soup made with broccoli, onions, and cheddar cheese.
- French onion soup - A savoury soup made with caramelized onions, beef broth, and topped with crusty bread and melted cheese.
Get creative and experiment with your veggie stock to make your own unique soup creations!