Nothing tastes better than fresh basil pesto on top of pizza, bread or pasta! This aromatic herb goes a long way and is perfect to use up any leftover basil that has been sitting in your fridge. In only 15 minutes, you will have the perfect dip to serve with any meal.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (can sub chopped walnuts)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tbs)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- Place the basil leaves and pine nuts into the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times.
- Add the garlic and Parmesan cheese and pulse several times more. Scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
- While the food processor is running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady small stream. Adding the olive oil slowly while the processor is running will help it emulsify and help keep the olive oil from separating. Occasionally, stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor.
- Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Toss with pasta for a quick sauce, dollop over baked potatoes, or spread onto crackers or toasted slices of bread. Enjoy!
*If you want to freeze the pesto, omit the cheese. Line an ice cube tray with plastic wrap, and fill each cube with the pesto sauce. Freeze and then remove from the ice tray and store in a freezer safe, zip-top bag. When you want to use it, defrost and add cheese!