Have you heard that mushrooms are going to be all the rave in 2023? A versatile vegetable that is easy to add to any dish, and has an amazing aroma. They are incredibly healthy and contain many of the nutrients our bodies need to function well. An easy way to use mushrooms is creating a delicious cream of mushroom soup.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds (750 g) fresh brown mushrooms sliced
- 4 teaspoons chopped thyme divided
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine (any dry red or white wine)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1-2 teaspoons salt adjust to taste
- 1/2-1 teaspoons black cracked pepper adjust to taste
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half (sub with evaporated milk)
- Optional: Chopped fresh parsley and thyme to serve
- Heat butter and oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until melted. Sauté onion for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Cook garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and 2 teaspoons of thyme, cook for 5 minutes. Pour in wine and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle mushrooms with flour, mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Add stock, mix again and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low-medium heat, season with salt, pepper and crumbled bouillon cubes.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, while occasionally stirring, until thickened.
- Reduce heat to low, stir in cream or half and half. Allow to gently simmer (do not boil). Adjust salt and pepper to your taste.
- Mix in parsley and remaining thyme.
- Serve warm and enjoy!