Butternut Basil Tomato Soup
JULY 27, 2022
Save Up To 40% Off Your Groceries!
With a Peko Produce Box. More Details Here
Recipe by @steamyvegankitchen
If you’re a lover of tomato soup, then you’re going to be OBSESSED with this extra flavourful spin on a cozy classic. Let’s make BUTTERNUT BASIL TOMATO SOUP!
- 1 small butternut squash
- 7 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion
- 4 – 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 cups veggie broth
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme, or 1 tbsp fresh
- salt + pepper to taste
- Finely mince the garlic and chop your onion, and set aside.
- Next, prepare the butternut squash. Peel the outer skin until the bright yellow flesh is revealed. Chop off the top and bottom, and carefully slice down the middle lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds, chop the rest into 1/2 inch cubes and set aside.
- Cube your roma tomatoes into relatively large chunks, and set aside.
- Warm up a tbsp of olive oil in a stockpot on medium-high heat, and add in the garlic and onion. Stir well and let sauté for 3-4 minutes until they become slightly translucent. Stir again to prevent burning, and add in your tomatoes and butternut squash. Sprinkle in the dried thyme and give everything a good mix, then pour in your 3 cups of broth.
- Increase the temperature to high, and bring the soup to a boil. Once boiling, let the soup simmer covered on medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, or until the butternut squash has become fork tender. While the soup is cooking, coarsely chop your fresh basil.
- OPTIONAL step for topping: To a small skillet add 1/2 cup of raw pumpkin seeds and dry roast them on medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently until they’re golden-brown and fragrant. Remove them from the pan right away to prevent burning.
- Once the squash is cooked, add in your seasonings. Add the soy sauce or tamari, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and fresh chopped basil plus a few grinds of black pepper and salt to taste. Give it a good stir and turn off the heat. With your immersion blender, carefully blend the soup until it’s perfectly smooth with no solids remaining. You could also ladle the mixture into a high-speed blender if you don’t have an immersion blender.
- Serve and top off your bowl with a dollop of plant-based sour cream, some roasted pumpkin seeds, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Enjoy!