Summer is the perfect time to fire up the grill and enjoy the delicious flavours of barbecue. While meat often takes centre stage at a barbecue, grilled veggies can be just as delicious and satisfying. Not only are they healthy and flavorful, but they also make a colourful and beautiful addition to any meal. Whether you're a vegetarian, vegan, or just looking for a way to incorporate more vegetables into your diet, these BBQ grilled veggie recipes are sure to impress.
Jamaican Jerk Grilled Eggplant
Marinated in a blend of aromatic spices, skewered, and grilled to perfection. With its smoky and caramelized flavour, this dish is a great addition to any summer party or barbecue!
- 1 large eggplant cut in 1-2" pieces
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- Cut one large eggplant into 1-2" pieces. You want them large enough to fit on the skewer, but small enough to cook relatively quickly without burning the outside.
- Place all your marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the eggplant and mix to make sure it is thoroughly coated. Refrigerate for 1-3 hours.
- Heat the grill to 400F degrees.
- Skewer the eggplant pieces and brush with melted coconut oil (save the excess marinade).
- Place on the grill for 3-4 minutes per side, until eggplant is cooked through. If it starts to burn, turn the heat down or move to a cooler part of the grill.
- Place the leftover marinade in a bowl and heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until warmed and bubbly.
- Remove the skewers from the grill and serve with the reserved marinade as dipping sauce.
Grilled Corn on the Cob with Herb Butter
Corn on the Cob Grilled is an ideal BBQ dish that ensures juicy corn kernels with a smoky flavour for you and your guests.
- 5-6 whole ears of corn with husks attached
Fresh Herb Butter:
- 1 cup butter softened to room temperature
- 2 tsp fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tsp fresh oregano chopped
- 2 tsp fresh basil chopped
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the barbecue on medium-high heat.
- Pull the husks of corn down to the base, keeping them still attached to the corn. Remove the corn silk until the corn is clean.
- Close back the husks and tie together with a string or wire
- Soak the corn with husks on, submerged in water for at least 15 minutes
- Shake off the excess water off the corn and place on the barbecue grill. Bbq for 15 minutes, or until the corn easily bursts when pierced. Turn over the corn every 5 minutes.
- Peel back the corn husks, still attached at the base of the corn.
Fresh Herb Butter:
- Finely chop fresh parsley, basil and oregano.
- Mix herbs into the softened butter and add a pinch salt. Generously slather on your grilled corn when serving.
Grilled Romaine Lettuce with Tomatoes and Basil
Enjoy the delicious taste of grilled romaine lettuce with fresh tomatoes, basil, and a balsamic vinegar drizzle. Perfect as a salad or side dish and can be enjoyed all year round.
- 2 romaine hearts, halved lengthwise
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, about ½ teaspoon each per half
- 2 lemons, halved
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons basil, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon aged balsamic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- A pinch of fresh ground pepper
- Rinse and dry the romaine (it is important for the lettuce to be fully dry before you grill otherwise it may steam).
- Brush both sides of romaine with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill the romaine hearts on each side until lightly browned on both sides (about 2 minutes each side).
- While the romaine is grilling place the lemon halves on the grill for about 4 minutes (until you see grill marks).
- Remove from heat, and top with the tomato basil mixture and a squeeze of fresh grilled lemon and a drizzle of aged balsamic.
- In a separate bowl, place together tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper, into a bowl and toss together.
- Add tomato mixture on top of the grilled romaine lettuce and serve.