A classic fall dessert, complimented by the nutty flavour profile of almonds! Made with sliced apples and an oat streusel topping. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for the perfect finishing touch.
- 3 small/medium apples or 2 large apples, sliced
- 1 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cold & cubed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Butter a 6x6 baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, toss together sliced apples, granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp salt, lemon juice, and almond extract. Spread the mixture evenly in the baking pan.
- In another mixing bowl, add oats, flour, brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp salt, and cold butter. Use a pastry cutter, two forks, or your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients. The streusel mixture should be in pea-sized crumbs & stick together when squeezed.
- Crumble the topping over the apples in an even layer. Bake for 50 minutes until the streusel is golden brown.
- Serve warm (with a scoop of vanilla ice cream)!