Plastic hasn't been our best friend despite its ability to make food last longer. It's a major contributor to the pollution crisis and can leach toxic chemicals into food and drinks. In this blog post, we'll give you food storage alternatives that are safe and environmentally friendly.
1. Glass containers. Glass is safe and non-toxic. It's also easy to clean and can be reused multiple times. Make sure to select ones that are heat-resistant.
2. Ceramic containers. Like glass, ceramics are easy to clean and can be reused. Make sure to buy those that are lead-free and oven-safe.
3. Stainless steel containers. Compared to glass and ceramic, stainless steel is more lightweight and won't break when dropped.
4. Beeswax wraps. A good alternative to plastic wraps. Very moldable and can be washed and reused.
5. Reusable silicone sandwich bags. Provides the flexibility of plastic bags without plastic. Make sure to buy ones that are non-toxic, heat-resistant, and dishwasher-safe.
6. Cotton storage bag. An alternative to plastic bags. Make sure to select ones that are made from food-grade and organic cotton.
7. Store in water. Some produce don't need special storage and will do better in a little bath. Fill a glass jar with an inch or two of water and submerge the root of fresh herbs, collard greens, kale and Swiss chard. Hardy vegetables like celery and carrots will last longer when stored in fresh cool water.
8. Put a plate over it. If you have a bowl, simply place a plate over it and it acts like a lid. It's an instant and easy way to store small portions of leftovers.
Let us know which alternative you like best or if we missed any! Happy storing <3