Summertime is here which calls for fun activities like swimming in the lake or enjoying a nice picnic. When packing your basket, don't forget healthy and tasty dishes that won't spoil in the heat and cause foodborne illnesses. Let's find what you can make out of your Peko box.
Picnic Perfect Produce
- Fresh fruits that are washed well
- Apples, apricots. blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, cherries, pears, peaches, plums, nectarines, strawberries, watermelon
- Fresh vegetable salad with tangy dressing
- Broccoli, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, peppers
- Fruit salsas for a light and refreshing topping
- Cilantro, peppers, lime juice and honey with mangos, peaches, or tomatoes
- Sorbet to keep guests cool
- Slaws dressed in oil and vinegar
- Cabbage, fresh herbs and different coloured veggies
- Air-fried veggie chips instead of high-calorie potato chips
- Fruit salad served in a hollowed out watermelon "bowl"
- Mixed melons, citrus wedges, bananas and grapes
- Veggie tray with chick pea-based hummus or avocado and bean dip
- Celery, carrots, peppers, cucumber
- Burger toppings
- Romaine lettuce, sliced tomatoes, onions, avocado wedges
- The key to an outdoor picnic is maintaining food temperatures. Food that contains meat and animal products must be kept cool and not left outside for more than an hour before consuming or avoid packing altogether.
- Bring clean utensils and water/hand sanitizer in case there's no water source in the picnic area.
Enjoy your summer outing and let us know how it went!