Mushrooms make a regular appearance in your Peko Box. Button, portobello, shiitake—you name it, Peko’s got it. Each type of mushroom has unique flavour profiles and textures, and you can prepare them in ways that make the most of their quirks.
Button (White) & Cremini (Brown) Mushrooms
- Versatile and mild, these mushrooms are great in most entrées, soups, and salads. Keep them in a paper bag to allow for air circulation in the fridge.
- Try them in this Hungarian Mushroom Soup!
- Left to grow for longer, they are larger, more mature cremini (brown) mushrooms. They are memorable from their large brown caps and earthy taste. Great for grilling, baking, sautéing, and stuffing.
- Try them in Portobello Mushroom Tacos!
- Shiitake mushrooms are umami bombs—rich and earthy due to their high amino acid glutamate content. Their meaty caps are a great plant-based substitute!
- Try this easy Braised Shiitake Mushrooms with Bok Choy recipe!
- These mushrooms have long stems and crunchy brown caps. Adds a great bite in soups & super flavourful when sautéed!
- Try Shimeji Gohan to level up your rice!
- Known for their oyster-shaped caps, these mushrooms are velvety and mild. They’re often used as a meat substitute—delicious pan fried or deep fried!
- Try Vegan Fried Chicken using Oyster Mushrooms!