CALGARY,BC—April 16, 2023— Peko, Western Canada's first "peculiar" & surplus grocery delivery service, is expanding to Calgary, Alberta! Peko delivers signature mystery produce boxes at up to 40% off grocery store prices, and was founded by two female university students, Sang Le and Arielle Lok, who was frustrated with the problem of food waste. Since May 2021, Peko has saved customers close to $1 million in grocery bills and diverted over 200,000 lbs of food from going to the landfill in Metro Vancouver.
The first delivery is launching on Sunday, May 7, with the pre-order form opening as early as April 24 on www.pekoproduce.com! Below are more details about Peko’s services:
- A Peko box weighs at least 12 lbs and contains at least 9 mystery varieties of fruits and vegetables.
- A Peko box retails for up to 40% off grocery store prices and is delivered straight to your door.
- Every Peko Box retails for $29.69 for subscribers and $32.99 for one-time buyers. An additional $3 delivery fee is applied to every order.
- All deliveries are carbon-neutral and come with a reusable tote bag. Customers can return their old tote bags along with any soft plastic recycling as they receive the next shipment.
- Pre-order by midnight Thursday at 12:59 AM (MT) for a delivery on the closest Sunday.
For every Peko box sold in Alberta, $1 will be donated to the Leftovers Foundation, a local charity that specializes in food recovery to combat hunger. This expansion to Alberta represents an exciting milestone in its ongoing mission to reduce food waste. By offering surplus groceries to customers in this new region, Peko is eager to reach new audiences and take a significant step towards creating a more sustainable food system.
Peko is Western Canada’s first delivery service dedicated to “peculiar” & surplus groceries at up to 40% off retail prices. Initially started as a passion project by two female university students to fight food waste, Peko has diverted 200,000+ lbs of food from going to the landfill and saved customers close to $1 million in grocery bills. Peko was acquired by Fresh Prep - Canada's most sustainable meal kit and a Certified B Corporation® - in February 2023.
High-Resolution Photos: LINK
Facebook: Peko Produce
Co-founder & CEO
About Fresh Prep
Fresh Prep is a meal kit delivery service offered in over 35 municipalities throughout BC and Alberta. Founded in 2015, Fresh Prep delivers everything needed to make meals at home in under 30 minutes, plus delicious sides, salads, and snacks. With a focus on sustainability, ingredients are delivered in reusable, insulated cooler bags, and many recipes are available in Fresh Prep’s patented Zero Waste Kit containers—minimizing single-use plastic waste and reducing its impact on the environment.
Meals are affordable and recipes are diverse to fit the needs of individuals, couples, or families. Fresh Prep is a Certified B Corporation®, dedicated to doing business responsibly —balancing purpose and profit.