Recipe by @steamyvegankitchen
This Pinto Bean Carrot 🥕Chilli (featuring rescued carrots from @pekoproduce!) is smoky, spicy and whips up in a pinch. It’s a great way to use up lots of carrots, and fabulous for weeknight meals as it’s fast, hearty and filling.
- 3 cups carrots (rescued!), sliced into half coins
- 1 can pinto beans
- one medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups of onion broth (or veg broth/water)
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- Salt + pepper to taste
- One chipotle pepper in adobo sauce finely minced
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- Sauté the onion, garlic and chipotle pepper in 1 tbsp oil (or 1/4 cup water) until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes
- Add the spices and stir to coat, let toast for 1 minute
- Add the pinto beans, carrots, tomato paste and broth and combine thoroughly.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Once bubbling, bring down to medium heat and cook for 10 minutes
- Uncover and add the ketchup, ACV and liquid smoke and stir well. Leave uncovered and continue simmering for another 10 minutes, or until the carrots are fork tender and the sauce has thickened to your liking
- Garnish with vegan sour cream, green onions or cilantro and enjoy!