Zucchini noodles, also known as zoodles, have become a trendy, low calorie, low carb alternative to regular pasta noodles. They retain some of the vegetable’s rich flavour, but can also take on new flavours depending on the ingredients it is cooked in. Overall, zucchini noodles have become a popular choice due to their health benefits and versatility.
Not sure about the zoodles concept yet? Try this easy Pesto Zucchini Noodles recipe:
- 4 medium-large zucchini (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup of pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, quartered
- ½ teaspoon of ground pepper
- Using a spiral vegetable slicer, to cut zucchini lengthwise into long, thin strands. Give the strands a chop here and there so the noodles aren't too long.
- Place the zucchini in a colander and toss with ¼ teaspoon salt. Let drain for 15 to 30 minutes, then gently squeeze to remove any excess liquid.
- Place basil, pine nuts, Parmesan, ¼ cup oil, lemon juice, garlic, pepper and ¼ teaspoon salt in a mini food processor. Process until almost smooth.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan and the drained zucchini noodles and toss gently until hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Add pesto and toss gently to coat.
- Serve and enjoy!