The fall season is officially upon us and what better way to get into the cozy spirit than some delicious soup! Soup warms the heart - a popular comfort food many households make on chilly days. Start your fall season with this creamy and chunky baked potato soup.
- 6 strips bacon chopped
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped fine
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2.5 to 3 lbs potatoes
- 4 to 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk (any kind)
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, diced chives or diced green onions for garnish
- Using a large pot over medium high heat, cook the bacon until browned and crisp. Remove onto a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Into the same pot with the bacon fat, add butter and onions and cook until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and stir until smooth. Add in the potatoes, chicken stock, milk, heavy cream, and season with salt and pepper. Stir together and bring to a boil. When boiling, lower the heat, cover slightly with a lid and let simmer for about 15 minutes over low heat.
- Check the potatoes to ensure they are done with a fork and using an immersion blender, blend the soup. (Use the immersion blender for however long you like! Depending on how chunky you want your soup to be) Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve and garnish with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, the bacon bits, and the diced chives or diced green onions. Enjoy while hot!