Stone fruit season is finally here! Top off an easy, moist yellow cake with apricots for the perfect summer treat. Feel free to skip the passion fruit—it's just as good with or without it!
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Wet ingredients:
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter (or neutral vegetable oil)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 passion fruit + 2 tbsp honey (or 3 tbsp passion fruit honey purée)
- 1/4 cup milk, of choice
- 6-8 apricots, halved and pitted
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 6- or 7-inch cake tin with oil or butter.
- In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In a larger mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with a whisk (8-10 minutes) or stand mixer (~5 minutes) until light and fluffy. Crack in eggs 1 at a time & beat to combine. Add the rest of the wet ingredients, and fold in gently by hand until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and fold the batter until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased cake tin, and top with apricots. Gently push the apricots down.
- Bake the cake for 55 minutes, until the top is golden and a skewer comes out of the centre clean. Let cool, slice, and enjoy!